I'm Here for a Good Time and a Long Time
In July, I hit the 6-year mark at TWG. If you had told me, six years ago, that I’d be sticking around this long I’m not sure I’d have believed you.
Before joining TWG, the longest I’d worked anywhere was just under two years. Usually, by that point, I’d get bored and start looking for something new.
(How blessed is my life, that I can get bored and simply find a new job?)
As I enter my sixth year of working with this wonderful crew, I can’t stop thinking about the benefits of working somewhere for an extended period of time.
- The excitement, nevousness, and joy of helping a 10-person crew grow into a company of over 100 people.
- Getting to know many of my coworkers extremely well. Many are friends, some are almost family.
- Seeing history repeat itself. It’s easy to stay calm when you’ve seen certain situations pop up 100 times in the last six years.
- You can push boundaries when you know the boundaries well.
- Feeling secure. But, hopefully, not so secure you forget how to improve.
I’m probably forgetting a few.
Now, I’ve been lucky. I work with supportive coworkers, leaders that have allowed me to grow, and a culture that aligns very well with my personality & beliefs. It’s had ups and downs. I can’t think of any job that doesn’t. But, on the whole, it’s been amazing.
I honestly couldn’t ask for anything more. And I can’t stop thinking about all the things I would have missed out on if I hadn’t stuck around this long.